20 June, 2007

Surviving...



Accompany a pal to Alexandra Hospital for medical check up today. Thanks god, she's doing fine, and I'm delighted.

As I walked along the same old path from the bus stop to AH, remembering the same old smell (of frangipani), my heart sank, and I had goosebumps. Yes, this a place I called "home" for three months during my secondary school years.

Three months long-stay in Ward 47, with nice nurses pacifying me with lollipops and sweets after regular blood tests for diagnostics purposes, life wasn't that bad afterall. The worst could have been the drawings of cerebrospinal fluid and cells from blood marrow that hurt like fuck, as well as on the verge of repeating sec 3. Besides the regular therapies I did there (that last for two years), I got to accept the fact that I can't go home like those many other patients who stay there for a day or two. Mine was three freaking long months... I remembered myself bursting out like a retard one day when my dad left, and the doctor insisted I must stay for another month. Luckily there was this uncle over there, who consoled me and told me to cherish my life. For him, he can't do much. Diagnosed with the advanced stage of liver cancer, his life was limited.

I saw him turned yellow, and became sick. I saw his family crying, and he cried too. I saw the doctor giving up on his treatment, and allowed him to go home for good. I saw a life, who wanted to survive, but turned out otherwise.

True, my injury took up alot of my life. I can't play bowling, badmintons, or other vigorous sports like many other young men could. But yet, I still got a long life span to achieve other things I desired. On the other hand, some people are trying very hard to survive, and their main aim is just to win the battle against death god. To them, living for another day was already a god's gift. To them, surviving is already a very difficult task. Learning from these people, I think we should make full use of our lives, and live lives to the greatest.

Life is about dreams, hope and courage. The courage to go on, even after many times of failures. I thank the god for giving my such ability.

No comments: