10 March, 2007

Career Pathways

I missed my exit while driving through the PIE from BoonLay. And reached home now, feeling rather infuriated and upset. I guessed I was somehow aggravated from the conversation I had with some good pals half an hour ago.

From their general point of views, it seems wrong to be in the life sciences industry, an industry that will bring us to no where in years to come. In a direct, or rather harsh way, one even put it across to me that the industry will fall short. (Life Sciences confirmed 倒的!) Seriously, I almost wanted to step onto the brake when this piece of sentence reached my ears while driving. Though it was just a general dicussion or debate (?), I was hurt by them from not looking into my situation when they speak, rather then the issue as a whole. I wasn't mad with them, cause everyone would have their general point of views, and see things differently. I was sorry for my bad attitude too (if u read my blog), but do put yourself into other ppl' shoes when you speak. I suppose that will be good for both.

From my own point of view (which I didn't manage to put across to just now), I think that there is a demand for every industry. The job market of today and tomorrow, is the market the universities are focusing on. The manufacturing, engineering and commercial jobs have always been there, albeit there are more of these now. After the hype on biomedical sciences from the government 5 years ago, and the millions they put in into this industry, many people believed and jumped into the bandwagon only to discover that this is all nothing but a propaganda.

I think otherwise though. Though I agree with the fact that a banker earns more then a biology student, I believe that the latter will still find a niche for himself or herself in the market. Singapore is a young country. Correspondingly, her fifth pillar is only on the way to being established too. Judging from the building up of Biopolis and many other life sciences related manufacturing factories, many multinational life sciences companies from overseas are setting up or moving their R&D centres to Singapore. Economists believe that there would be an increase in demand for senior and experienced research professionals at this stage to streamline operations. Once these centres are more established, there would definitely be a demand for fresh graduates in both the research and sales areas on life sciences... At least, I think this way.

To add on, I think that life is not just about how to survive through a job, and getting rich from it. At the end of the day, I believe that a job that one is passionate about, will be more rewarding then getting a job that pays well. Since young, besides dreaming about being a news reporter in secondary school, I got this liking for the medical science, and hoped to find a job in this area when I grow up. Thus, I went so far to pursuit a degree that I'm interested in, and perhaps, a job that could be so rewarding and meaningful in years to come. By then, with some ideal plannings in mind, I think that my life will then be more completed then those others who choose their career pathways out of no choice or for the sake of earning bucks and buying big houses. At least, I do things with passion. And I know, I will be happy. =)

On a more relax tone, today's ice skating session with Jun and GL was great (my last ice skating session was like five years ago). And I left the ring with two legs that don't belongs to me. LoL. Then we went off to Settlers Cafe, Holland Village for some drinks and a game of RISK before dropping by my house for some usual random stuffs and updates.

MJ session at Alvin's house on Thursday night was fun too. Since school ended early this week, we played through the night and I lost $3.30 at the end. Too bad, Thomas wasn't around to play with us. And do cheer up okay bro! =)

Scanning through my planner, and noticing the number of red markings (project and report due dates, test and exam dates), I know is time of the semester to hook on the books again. =) Sadly, this week would be the last week of slacks, and weeks of mugging would follow... I need the power!!! Haha. To those confidants and sounding boards I couldn't meet up as often, you guys must take some real care.

Till then, goodbye.

No comments: